Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How to deal with relatives.

When I was a kid, I would take annual trips to Madras.
I'd spend time with cousins, abide by the law of the land, which was pretty feudal, and come back to Bombay.
My Class 10 vacation was the last long one that I had in Madras.
Since then, I've done four trips to Madras. And each of them has been touch and go.
I like it like this. Although I must admit that after last time's trip, I wished that I had spent a day longer, as opposed to a single day.
But then when I look back, one day seems perfect.
You talk to distant relatives you like over the phone. You can be nice to relatives because you're meeting them for a day.
There is no tamasha, no nastiness. All in all, everyone is happy and wish you came back again. Similarly, you want to go back as well.
Moral of the story: Visit relatives once every four years. Go for a day and enjoy it. They will think that you're nice and doing well. You will think the same about them. Life is good and you feel glad that you spent some time with them. It's totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment