Saturday, April 30, 2011

Great entertainment, I must admit.

So my favourite form of entertainment isn't any television show or some bad Bollywood song.
It is watching a conversation between my tone-deaf grandmother and my equally tone-deaf aunt.
In their defence, they've lived in Madras all their life. If you are a citizen of Madras, one of the credentials you need is to be tone deaf.
My grandmother and aunt, bless their souls, want to be part of every conversation. Sometimes it can get irritating, but most times it's hilarious.
So today, at lunch, this is how the conversation goes.
Aunt to me: I hear Rajinikanth is in hospital
Me: Yes, it was a short thing. He's out I guess.
Aunt: He had a drinking problem
My sister (with a wtf look): He never drank
Aunt: He's in the films. Everyone there drinks. He stopped three months ago
My grandmother: Whose heart stopped beating three months ago?
Aunt: What?
Grandmother: Whose heart stopped beating three months ago.
Me (looking at my father sitting quietly in the background and watching the entertainment on his rocking chair, but still having a look of exasperation on his face): Hahaha
My mother gives me a dirty look, while my aunt starts laughing as well
Grandmother: Why are you laughing
My mother (clearly pissed off): Who lives when their heart stops beating for three months?
Grandmother: I don't know.
My mother: Then why did you ask that question?
Grandmother: I said what she said.
Aunt: I said drinking three months ago.
Grandmother: Who drank three months ago?
Aunt: Rajinikanth.

I wish my work ended really early, so that I could hear conversations like this everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment