Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Colours

Colours are strange things.
They are there all the time and we take them for granted.
When we go about our daily chores, we don't acknowledge the blue drinking bottle, the white plastic cup that contains shit brown froth that was machine coffee. We don't notice that a pink transparent bottle, with enough light on it can actually form a pink shadow on the white wall, thanks to the light around.
Colour is beautiful.
I never appreciated it so much, until I took up painting as a fun hobby last week. I've always been decent at drawing, but in school, I was appalling at painting.
Surprisingly that has improved and I have a little something here to show my improvement.
It's the banquet scene from Asterix and the Black Gold:

We think and appreciate black and white and sepia images, but imagine waking up to a black and white world.
Whenever I think of that, I always think of this Calvin and Hobbes comic strip where he and his father discuss a world in black and white.

And I'd love to follow Hobbes' philosophy :). Click on the image and enlarge the strip, if you believe it too.

1 comment:

  1. it's such a great topic to write on.so true-we take it for granted.without it,it's a dull dull world.loved how you put it.write more.
    ps-loved the drawing and the c-strip :)

    ReplyDelete