Saturday, August 13, 2011

RIP Shammi Kapoor

If there was anybody I would have considered 'cool' in the 1950s and 1960s era of Hindi cinema, it would be Shammi Kapoor.
My earliest memories of him was on this show called Movie Mahal that would be aired on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom.
The show opened with a creepy old man wearing a dark blue kurta and beads talking about something. And then it would move to this guy dancing and sliding down the snow, screaming 'Yahoo!'
When my brother and sister tried explaining that the two people were the same person, I refused to believe them.
But that was Shammi Kapoor's life.
From the cool dude, he became the reclusive hermit after Geeta Bali's death. He made rare public appearances , but still became the first Indian to have an Internet connection in 1996 when there were options of TCP/IP and Shell Accounts. He had several followers on Twitter and despite staying in most of the time, he kept himself occupied and connected with the outside world.
When I heard about his death this morning, I was happy. The man had suffered from acute renal failure and was suffering.
He will, for me, be the true Junglee
Below are some of my favourite Shammi Kapoor songs.

Main Chali from Professor

Taarif Karoon

Yahoo!


Notice one thing in each of these songs. Shammi Kapoor has an expression for each word. And that was his genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment